10 Insider Tips for Planning the Perfect Destination Wedding
Planning a wedding is stressful. There are so many pieces of the puzzle that come together to create your special day. Destination weddings require even more planning and attention to detail… So don’t miss out on our Insider Tips for planning a destination wedding the right way!
- The Internet Is Your Best Friend: Do all of your research ahead of time and don’t skip the small stuff! The good news is – you're already in the right place for researching weddings in AZ ;) . But do your due diligence and make sure that everything is the right fit.
- Tour the Venue Before Booking: If you are able to, try visiting the venue you are consididering in person! If you can't visit in person ask the venue if they have a property video for you to review!
- Send Invitations ASAP: Destination weddings are costly. Be mindful of this by notifying your guests in advance so they have enough time to determine whether they can afford to attend.
- Weather Considerations: Be mindful of your destination's climate. Based on the season, you may want to rethink your choice in hairstyle or wedding party attire. If there is a chance of rain on your wedding day, make sure the venue also offers an indoor option for your ceremony and/or reception.
- Plan Guest Activities: The appeal of a destination wedding is for you and your guests to enjoy the wedding just as much as any vacation! Make sure to take advantage of all the opportunities to sightsee and soak up the environment you are in. Traveling to Northern Arizona? Plan a trip to the Grand Canyon for the day!
- Hire a Good Planner: This one is obvious. Since you are new to the area, hiring a planner is the best way to feel comfortable with all of your decision making. A good planner will make it easy for you, as they are already familiar with local venues and vendors, and can make great recommendations.
- Pack Your Dress as a Carry-On!! We cannot stress this enough… You don’t want to arrive at your destination, and your dress doesn’t make it with you! Staying in the United States? There are arlines that allow garmet bags for carry-on travel: American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue, Southwest, and United Airlines (you’re welcome).
- Approximate Your Guest Count: We know this one is hard, but it is especially important to calculate (in advance) an approximate guest count for destination weddings. Considerations for selecting a venue will depend on capacity range, proximity to the airport, and whether there are enough rooms available.
- Organization Is Key: Throughout the planning process, make sure you are always one step ahead of the game. On your planning visits, make sure to have to-do lists ready and be prepared with questions for every appointment—it is crucial to take quality notes in order to make an informed decision.
- Relax: Although everything may seem overwhelming – remember why you are planning the wedding in the first place. Enjoy every minute and accept that there will be a few unexpected bumps along the way.